Sunday, March 2, 2008

Austenland by Shannon Hale

I love this one! Austenland is a tale of a woman who can't seem to find a guy to hold on to because none of the men she meets can measure up to Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy (especially as portrayed by Colin Firth). I had a hard time getting into the book. The first couple of chapters didn't exactly grab me. I stuck with it though and I'm glad that I did. Hale does a marvelous job of capturing the flavor of Austen's writing and the essence of Mr. Darcy, all in a modern context. The ending was wonderfully unpredictable and the author manages to write the story in such a way that any of the possible opposing outcomes would be happily accepted by the reader. The book is a wonderful romp through Regency England and an interesting commentary on what life might truly have been like for young women of that period. I recommend this book to lovers of Jane Austen's works- not just Pride and Prejudice, but the rest of her novels as well, and anyone who loves seventeenth century English literature. The book makes frequent reference to Austen's novels and there are also allusions to works from other authors of the time period such as Charlotte and Emily Bronte. In spite of the slow start I give this book a hearty something more substantial.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I'm so glad you liked this one. Chick-lit at it's best--funny, romantic and no smut.

Shelley said...

I'm anxious to read this one and really everything by Shannon Hale!

Anonymous said...

wouldn't this be a really fun movie? Especially the ending?

Not quite the Bradys said...

Yes, for the hundreds of Hollywood moguls who doubtless read this blog (because why wouldn't they?) please make this into a movie. I will buy a full-priced ticket. Cross my heart.