Wednesday, June 25, 2008

These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner

I haven't reviewed anything in a while because I've been so busy with my kids home from school for the summer. These Is My Words was first recommended to me by my husband's aunt almost two years ago. Then this January, my sister-in-law borrowed it from the aunt and recommended it as well. I bought the book and put it on my TBR list/A~Z Challenge but had several other books ahead of it in my pile so I put it off. Last week two friends at choir practice were going on and on about it and I decided I couldn't put it off any longer. I came home and the next day I read the book. There is really only one thing I can say:


Dearest Mr. Darcy,

It pains me to have to tell you that I think we need to break up. You and I have had a good run of it and you have always meant a lot to me. I've loved you more than Edward or Jacob. I loved you more than Romeo and Petruchio. Once I had seen the A&E portrayal of you I even loved you more than Gilbert Blithe. But to go on this way would be unfair to you. I've found someone else and now that I know him, you will never again be the literary model of male perfection. I am so sorry to do this in writing but since it is where we first met, I felt it was only fitting. Please know that you will always hold a special place in my heart, but that heart now belongs to the husband of Sarah Agnes Prine.

With love,
Aberjaber

The story is based on the family memoirs of the author and takes place in the late 1800's in the Arizona Territory. It is a heart-warming (sometimes heart-wrenching) tale of a family and the struggles of frontier life. It is exciting, interesting, moving, and filling. I felt like I had a comfortable quilt wrapped around me the entire time I was reading it. Once I finished, I wanted to start at the beginning and read it again. This book is the heart of Something More Substantial.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Wow! That is some review. I will definitely have to read this one soon. I've heard of it but hadn't done anything about it yet. I have so much to read right now but I'll move it up as high on my TBR list as I can.

Joy said...

I really enjoyed this book. So glad you loved it, too!

Jeane said...

I read this book. My husband kept making fun of the title.

Shelley said...

How can I resist a book that will make me give up Gilbert, Edward, Jacob, and Mr. Darcy? I'll have to add this to my TBR list.

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I know you reviewed this forever ago but I finally read the book. I totally agree with you! It is one of the best books I have ever read. It sucked me in from the very begining and I laughed and I cried. It is just a great book! I had to share. :)