Monday, April 7, 2008

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon

This novel is a captivating depiction of life as an autisic teenage boy. The story is told through the eyes of the boy as if he is the author of the story. When Christopher John Francis Boone decides to investigate the death of a neighborhood dog, he discovers much more than he sets out to. He sets in motion a series of events that will lead him, not only on an emotional journey, but a journey of great distance as well.

I found this book a fascinating peek into autism and the thought processes of those who have it. It is poignant, thought-provoking, and an easy read. The story doesn't resolve at the end of the book and the book is very sad in some places. Overall, I enjoyed it very much. The book has some profanity in it but most of the characters are, on the whole, good people who you empathize with. I thought this book was Something More Substantial.

1 comment:

Shoshana said...

I love this book when I read it last year.

Btw, I want to invite you to join my drawing for a $25 Amazon GC at the end of the A ~ Z reading challenge.

Shoshana