Sunday, May 22, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue

I was surprised by this book.  I really expected it to be depressing.  Actually it was rather inspiring.  The story is about a five year old boy whose mother was abducted seven years earlier and has in the years since been kept prisoner by her abductor in a shed.  (See?  Sounds depressing/disturbing, right?)  Through the understanding of this sweet little boy we see a charming view of the world as he knows it inside of Room.  When they manage to escape they experience bittersweet adjustment to a whole new world but the book ends with hope.

I really liked this book.  I loved the kind of mother this boy has and the efforts she makes to create a happy, healthy, loving life for him.  Reading this inspired me to be a better mother and that's why I think it is something more substantial.

No comments: