Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Another dystopian novel with similarity to The Hunger Games but with much better writing.  The author makes great use of vocabulary and the world she creates is original and thought-provoking.  Roth explores values and what happens when people focus on only one good thing.  She also explores fear and overcoming it with such effective descriptions that many times I noticed my own breathing was quickened, my heart rate was elevated, and my palms were sweating.  The story does not have a love triangle for which I was grateful as I think that particular plot device is getting pretty tired.  This is the first in a trilogy and I look forward to the next installment (Insurgent) to come out this spring.  Exciting, interesting, and a definite page-turner, Divergent is something more substantial.

No comments: